Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 cups milk
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter
pinch ground nutmeg
1 tsp Dijon
3 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese
1 box (16oz) elbow macaroni or seashell pasta
1 sprig cilantro (optional)
1. In a saucepot on medium heat melt butter until bubbling, stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk in cold milk (cold milk helps prevent lumps in your roux)
3. Cook for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
4. Stir in spices, mustard and puree. When incorporated slowly stir in cheese.
5. If the sauce becomes too thick slowly stir in more milk.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and finely chop and add cilantro.
7. Pour over pasta and serve or add to a baking dish and bake for 20 min at 375 °F.